Tuesday, June 09, 2015

Most Bizarre: Probiotics or I am My Own Universe

Most of us really don't want to think of all the invisible creatures living in or on our bodies.  Just thinking about eyebrow mites makes me itch and now I've gone and made you itchy, too. My most recent study for improving William's management of Type 1 Diabetes led me to a doctor that recommended probiotics.  Most of us can get these little creatures in our diet, for example in a good yogurt, but this doctor felt William needed additional support.  I'm a crunchy, Wholly Foods, essential oils skeptic by nature, but I was willing to try.

We added the single capsule at dinner.  For the first few days, he went low and required many carbs to counteract the lows.  This appeared to be due to the carbs not being properly absorbed and the gut more or less flushing the carbs through. (If you catch my drift.  If I am more explicit, my son will stone me if ever he finds I wrote a blog about him.  He's likely to anyway.)  This resolved itself.

I decided to move the administration of it to breakfast, which resulted in the need for a science experiment.  Yesterday, with a morning blood glucose of 80 mg/dL, I told him he could have cereal. If you know someone with T1D, you will know that cereal is "flight attendants:  prepare for take-off". Double arrows up on the CGM and if you don't catch it, BG ends up in the clouds (200 or greater). Cow's milk and Chocolate Cheerios (30 grams) was the easiest, and we experimented with 50% basal increases which helped but still often went up to 200 mg/dL.

To avoid gluten and cassein (our new thing since having T1D isn't inconvenient enough), we've changed to Chocolate Rice Chex and almond milk, and the probiotic.  Two hours later, he was at a normal BG, in fact I had to give him a temporary basal reduction and half a banana so that he could hit golf balls. Then, my daughter texted me - I'd given him the wrong almond milk and under-bolused 14 carbs!  Couldn't be, he'd have gone up another 50 or 60 mg/dL.   He had peaked at 140.  I shook my head unable to understand it.  

Today, I repeated the exact same scenario (minus the golf).  Same pre-bolus, BG at 77, 30 carbs for the cereal but didn't count the 14 for sweetened almond milk.  He peaked at 150 and was at normal 100 mg/dL for lunch.  Under bolused, 14 carbs.  Didn't spike.  Probiotic?  It is Monday?  He's in puberty?  The CGM is messing with me?  Is this a good thing?

Disclaimer:  As with anything on this blog, nothing I write is intended as medical advice. Consult with your doctor before changing your treatment and health choices.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Btw, as with anything on this blog, nothing I write is intended as medical advice. Consult with your doctor before changing your treatment and health choices.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts