Monday, June 27, 2016

Judge Not

My impatience grew. Why were they coddling this child, letting a toddler bring offertory gifts up the main aisle of Church? Either the basket was too heavy or the child was resisting. We all sat and waited. From where I sat, I couldn't see the child. Why didn't they just pick the child up? We all sat waiting. And waiting. 

I looked at the deacon. He was smiling, not impatient. Then, I saw her. A tiny girl struggled up the aisle. She was not carrying any gifts for her hands gripped tightly the handles of her tiny walker. (I didn't know they made them that small.) Each step took great effort, her back hunched over, her legs not quite cooperating. Her mom, dad, and brother turned and smiled at her. She made it the whole way! She must have been new to the walker for their joy was unmistakable. 

More than one churchgoer wiped away tears. Several minutes of sitting seemed inconsequential now. The parents, not permissive and indulgent, were exalted.

Truly, I don't remember much of the homily that day. I just remember the lesson I learned from a little girl - Judge not. You can't always see exactly what is going on in someone's life. You can't always understand all the challenges that each family faces with their children. Have patience, and maybe, the light will shine down and show you that we each struggle. We each rejoice with small achievements. We are all truly blessed. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts