Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Fruit Cake

Fruit Cake about describes my mentality during the holidays. Last night, I stayed up late wrapping presents, but couldn't locate one very important one. Likely, I thought, I was busy when it arrived and didn't put it in my locked hidey-hole for all presents. I looked everywhere but where it was, of course - in my hidey-hole for all presents. Way in the back it was. Now, I can rest easy.

Perhaps, I've not cooked enough fruit cakes. What?? You don't like fruit cake. Perhaps you don't have a recipe like this one:

The Best Fruit Cake Ever

1 cup butter
1 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
Lemon juice
4 large eggs
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup dried fruit
1 cup nuts
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 or 2 quarts whiskey

Before you start, sample the whiskey for quality. Good, isn't it? Now, go ahead.
Select a large mixing bowl, measuring cup, etc.
Check the whiskey again, as it must be just right.
To be sure the whiskey is of the highest quality, pour one level cup into a glass and drink it as fast as you can.
Repeat...
With an electric mixer, beat one cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl.
Add 1 tsp of thugar and beat again.
Meanwhile, make sure that the whiskey is of the highest quality.
Dry another tup. Open second quart if necessary.
Add 2 arge leggs, 2 cups fried druit and beat until high. If druit gets buck in steaters, just pry it loose with a drewscriver.
Sample the whiskey again, checking for tonscicticity.
Next, sift 3 cups of salt or anything, it really doesn't matter.
Sample the whiskey. Sift 1/2 pint of lemon juice.
Fold in chopped butter and strained nuts.
Add 1 babblespoon of brown thugar, or whatever color you can find, and wix mell.
Grease oven and turn cake pan to 350 gredees.
Now pour the whole mess into the coven and ake.
Check the whiskey, again, and bo to ged.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Okay, I hate fruit cake and thought "best" and "fruitcake" should never be in the same sentence, but this, now this, I can do as long as I get to feed the dogs the results and down any remaining ingedients.

Mary said...

Dear Cathy,
I actually love dark fruit cake, as does my husband. We can't get any here in southern California due to some people's distaste for it. We did get a light colored one from the Vietnamese bakery. I guess anybody can follow a good recipe. I did enjoy reading your "old chestnut" recipe again, though. I will be missing fruit cake this season, again. Dh did buy a Christmas pudding in Heathrow when he was coming back from Vienna and we already had one. We like it, too, but not as much as fruit cake. Maybe I'll have to break down and bake my own next year but then I'd have to worry about putting on around 200 pounds in a few weeks, which is my only objection to fruit cake!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts