Tuesday, November 02, 2010

It Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time

It started as a good idea.  Anna had an art class downtown scheduled (we thought) exactly during trick-or-treating time.  How to take William trick-or-treating and yet, still get Anna to art?  There is a neighborhood that can only best be described as Halloween's version of the neighborhood in Skipping Christmas.  Each Halloween, the front yards of this street contain decorations, some animated and live entertainment.  We would take William there, as it was only a short drive from the art school.

After finding out that Anna's art class had been canceled, the prudent thing to do would have been to high tail it to a neighborhood near us.  But no, I still clung to my original idea.  Soon, it became apparent that everyone else in town was headed there as well.  Hundreds.  Thousands?  Really.  

The side walks were lined three across as people shuffled along, looking at decorations, laughing, enjoying the "festival".  In fact, I found out after that this neighborhood is such a destination on Halloween, that the city wants them to get a permit next year.   As many adults were costumed as children, which made for amusing viewing.

Anna and I most enjoyed a large rubber spider, suspended from a tree, that was let down by it's operator from a hidden location onto the unsuspecting crowded sidewalk.  One large black woman walked right into it.  "Sheeeeeeeee-it" she screamed, swatting at the air and doing a little dance.  Then she bent over the stroller she was pushing.  "My apologies," she said, "to all you children, but that scared the sh*t out of me."  Then she laughed.  And we laughed.  We could have stood there all day watching that, but William was not pleased.

"I am like a puppet, being pulled and pushed," he said.  Short and dressed all in black, he was not enjoying the crowd.  As dh, Anna and I pointed out something new to see, he only wanted to go home.  So much for my great idea, and likely, he'll be too "old" next year.  Ah, well, I tried.

3 comments:

pita-woman said...

Let me try that comment again, stupid computer went haywire a moment ago...
Too old?? Around our neighborhood, we get 14-15 year olds. THAT's too old in my opinion. 12 should be the cut-off age.
Anyway... we're lucky if we get 35 kids thru our neighborhood, 30 is the norm, and probably 1/2 of them come from other neighborhoods.
Halloween/trick-or-treating just isn't what it used to be when we were kids. I wonder if costumed-kids going door-to-door will still exist in another 20 years, other than in our memories?

Cloudia said...

Sounds like a sensitive kid who doesn't enjoy crowds; that's all.

But glad to hear you had a blast.

I was once led into the thick of the Greenwich Village halloween "parade" by a 'friend' and almost ran away over the crowd (but I controlled myself as I pushed out as politely as I could)

Aloha from Honolulu

Comfort Spiral

><}}(°>


<°)}}><

Cloudia said...

Sounds like a sensitive kid who doesn't enjoy crowds; that's all.

But glad to hear you had a blast.

I was once led into the thick of the Greenwich Village halloween "parade" by a 'friend' and almost ran away over the crowd (but I controlled myself as I pushed out as politely as I could)

Aloha from Honolulu

Comfort Spiral

><}}(°>


<°)}}><

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts