Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Shopping

I've written before why I detest shopping. Fish in My Hair detailed shopping with teens for jeans. (New reality show title, eh?) Honestly, I might as well stop blogging and just post a hyperlink every day:

It will save me a lot of time typing. We are evidently living the same life in a parallel universe. Only, she's funnier. I have commented to her that I vote her Erma Bombeck's replacement. Either she gets syndicated soon, or I'm going to have to steal her material and make some money on it myself.
To continue on the clothing theme, I'd almost rather shop for jeans than try to clothe my near-5 year old. He has some kind of clothing hypersensitivity. He literally crawls in his skin at night, and can only sleep in his underwear, no shirt. Shirts bunch up around his armpits, he says, and he can't stand them. Problem? He also kicks covers off, so in the middle of the night he's freezing and wakes up. As I try to read to him at night, he pulls and tugs and wrestles alligators.
The fun continues in the morning. He wears no socks, even on the coldest days, as socks bother him. They don't line up right, the line on them often slipping to the sole. Tube socks, you say? They slip down. On to shirts. He can only wear short sleeves, as he cannot stop himself from chewing on long sleeves. This bothers him, but he cannot stop, so short sleeves only. No zipper or velco closings around the neck, no turtlenecks. Still, this is easy compared to pants.
Pants can have no elastic around the ankle, as they ride up. With a long torso and tall, he's more slender than most and the pants we have are too big around the waist. And so on. We're down to about 3 pair that are acceptable. Today, he's wearing shorts, the only thing we could find that were "comfortable".
I picture him as an adult male, having to get a job where they let you wear a white tshirt and a pair of baggy shorts, since that's all he'll wear. Kind of narrows the field, doesn't it? At present, I think he's headed for a career testing PlayStation games, so maybe that will take care of itself.

2 comments:

pita-woman said...

I'm sure he'll outgrow some of his clothing issues (emphasis on SOME)
When I was younger, I cut the tags out of all my shirts, as they annoyed me to no end, but I've pretty much gotten over that issue.
To this day, I still don't like long-sleeves either. Granted, I do buy them, but then I always push or roll them up to the elbow as it annoys me having my forearms covered.
I hate turtlenecks too, but on very rare occasions I do wear them, but I spend the entire time tugging at the neck and feeling like I'm chocking.
As for sleeping sans clothing, well, I used to do without also, 'til my husband brought a friend home in the middle of the night unannounced & I walked into the room & embarrassed myslef... that was all it took to get me to start wearing a nightshirt to bed to avoid that situation again!

Anonymous said...

I think he's destined to be a brilliant but eccentric engineer. Those engineering guys are... quirky. My father-in-law is 72, and he's still fussy about underwear fabric, socks, and his t-shirts HAVE to be line-dried. Oy.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts