Monday, April 05, 2010

My Town Monday - Pretending

Saturdays, Anna has a class in Louisville, a long enough drive that I find things to do in the city while she's at class.  I go to the library, and then sometimes head to a coffee shop, pretending to be the urbanite I'm not.  Lauren and I shared this stolen moment, and we sat outside, watching young couples pull their children in wagons, singles walking their dogs, and cars whizzing by.  Tiring of this, we browsed antiques and pawed through other people's forgotten treasures.

 



I found nothing to take, but that wasn't the point in looking.  


The river floated by, quiet and peaceful this day.  When I look on it, I always try to imagine what it looked like several hundred years ago.




Notes:
I have to clean the hen's nest today.  She managed to crack an egg, or perhaps an interloper did, and now it smells.  You see, though she is sitting on too many already, her hen-mates try to add to the nest daily.  We marked the ones we want her to keep with a permanent marker, and have to check daily for new additions.  These new ones will not mature in time and will only lessen the chances of the eggs in progress.

What we are reading this week:
Dh:

  Too Big to Fail: The Inside Story of How Wall Street and Washington Fought to Save the Financial System---and Themselves

Me:
Stones into Schools: Promoting Peace with Books, Not Bombs, in Afghanistan and Pakistan and The Talent Code: Greatness Isn't Born. It's Grown. Here's How.

Lauren:
The Boleyn Inheritance

Anna:

The Essential Writings of Ralph Waldo Emerson (Modern Library Classics)

William:

The Enormous Egg

ACK!  I forgot earlier today to post a link to the My Town Monday site, that hosts all the MTM entries.  Go over there to read about interesting places.

4 comments:

Travis Erwin said...

I too like to look at an area and ponder how it used to look. I wanted to get another MTM up today but sadly I didn't get it done.

pita-woman said...

**sigh** y'all are just too intellectual for me, I'll stick to John Grisham novels. ;)

My sister brought up the subject of raising chickens yesterday during Easter dinner. She's toying with the idea of getting a couple so she can have fresh eggs (and I think so she'll have something to give food scraps to besides the dog). I told her to look you up before running out and buying chickens.

Barrie said...

What a fun MTM post! One of my kids read The Enormous Egg. ;) I was very interested in reading about your hen's eggs because we're currently incubating 51 veiled chameleons eggs!

Cloudia said...

Sorry I haven't been visiting as often as I'd like, but I've been
having connection issues that I THINK I've solved. Thanks for YOUr
visits & comments :)

Aloha from Waikiki


Comfort Spiral

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts