Friday, April 09, 2010

Spring Work


For the zillionth time, I got the manure spreader stuck in the soft, wet spring earth.  I should know better, but I'm slow to learn.  This time, however, I was able to unhook it, get the lawnmower free, unload the spreader, hook it back up and get it out of the muck.  All with the help of my boy.  His job was to stand on the back of the spreader giving me leverage.  His reward was that he got to spread two loads of manure himself.  I don't think there is a happier event for an eight year old than being allowed to drive the lawnmower unassisted while spreading manure.


This is Aunt Rita and her sister, Aunt Mary (in the front).  Aunt Mary started brooding the original nest, but was ousted by Rita, who evidently has seniority.  Rita (in the back) now sits on the larger nest, while Mary has but five eggs.  Today, I noticed two eggs abandoned just behind Mary.  She was ineffectually trying to get back her original nest, and in doing so, lost two eggs.  I put them back and given the temps, likely no harm done.  They are ugly hens, but very effective brooders.

1 comment:

pita-woman said...

How cute! Looks like his toes could barely reach the pedals. Brings back lots of memories of driving my gpa's tractor as a child. I think all the kids and grandkids in the family got their first driving lessons on that tractor.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts