Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Academically Speaking

Anna is taking a physics course, and I have become her study partner.  I've had to dust off a few cobwebs (in my brain) and try to restart this old engine.  It has had a positive result:  I now have additional vocabulary to describe my life.

For example, I realize I have reached terminal velocity.  For those of you not (yet) studying physics, this means that my ability to accelerate or push back against the outside forces working on me has reached the maximum velocity.  I can go no faster.

Wanna lose weight?  Go to the top of a tall building, get in the elevator and push "down".  Instant weight loss.  Wanna lose mass?  That's another matter.

Did you know, that in the absence of air resistance that a piano shot out of a cannon will follow the same trajectory as a human shot out of a piano?  Do you know that my son's piano lessons at home sometimes make me want to try this?

Luckily, Anna is a good student and doesn't need my brain power (or lack of it) for most of the problems.

Notes:
Lauren's home!

I need sun.  NOW.

We officially have two roosters based on their looks alone.  Only one, however, has crowed.  The other acts like a hen.  Neither are chest-butting, aggressive chickens like previous roosters.  Perhaps it is the breed?  (Black Australorps)

2 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

Hubby has been thinking of chickens. Not sure, myself! Happy to enjoy yours!

pita-woman said...

So if you instantly lose weight going down in an elevator, does that mean you also gain weight by going up?
Perhaps I should try walking to the top of some sky scrapers and riding the elevator, and then repeating the process a few times. I don't know if the elevators would help, but I imagine walking up the stairs would do the trick.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts