Thursday, March 17, 2011

Blind or Deaf?

Most evenings, you will find me in the moonlight, walking my horses one by one to the barn.  It's my favorite time of the evening, especially in the spring.  Stars twinkle overhead, horses nicker to hurry me, peepers call to one another, the cat twists at my feet.  I listen to the BBC on the radio as I shovel and carry water.  It is in the middle of the night there, and it gives me a non-American viewpoint.  Finally, I shut the doors as I hear the horses, finished with grain, start munching hay.

The sounds of my life.  And yet, were you to ask me if, God forbid, I had to choose between blindness and deafness, I would quickly answer I would rather be deaf.  Helen Keller is quoted as having said, "Deafness is a much worse misfortune. For it means the loss of the most vital stimulus - the sound of the voice that brings language, sets thoughts astir, and keeps us in the intellectual company of man."   She was both, so had a unique perspective, yet perhaps because she was both, she had adjusted to both, and so her answer was colored by her lifetime experiences.


I have been asking people about me for their reaction to this question.  The answers sometimes come quickly.  My daughter, Lauren, a classical pianist and extrovert, quickly said she would rather be blind.  She could not lose music and talking to others.   Anna, my artist and friendly introvert, just as quickly decided she could not be blind over deaf. She could live more independently as a deaf person and technology and sign language could make up some of the challenges.  My husband, asked while in the middle of watching a TV show (my bad), answered quickly "blind", but during a commercial, rushed in to tell me he changed his mind - he could still play golf if he was deaf. As I continued to discuss it with friends and family, it became apparent that the things that were likely to cause the most loss in that person's life determined the answer.  A young girl that loves singing would, having to chose, be blind. Someone who loves to read, deaf. 


Myself, as I walked the horses to the barn in the dark, I was thinking of the difficulty, but not impossibility of caring for my animals without sight.  Yet, I value being able to do for myself and others.  Losing sight means less independence and ability to care for others.  Hopefully, if ever I have to face either, I'll rise to meet the challenge, but God willing, I hope not to have  the opportunity.


The question begs, however, what is important to you in this world?  Which would you choose?

7 comments:

CoachPaul said...

I could not imagine living without music.

Cloudia said...

God forbid we should HAVE to choose!
But blindness particularly scares me...



Warm Aloha to you
from Honolulu!


Comfort Spiral

><}}(°>


><}}(°>

Summer said...

Well I must agree , but there by the grace of GOD go I .....however growing up along side 2 deaf cousins I would choose deafness ...I watched as they both played along side us ,went to the same social functions , graduated from colleges and now raise families ......It is not that a visually impaired person could not do well in life but i would think they may encounter a bit more of a disadvantage ......Who knows though , maybe I am wrong .

Summer said...

Well I must agree , but there by the grace of GOD go I .....however growing up along side 2 deaf cousins I would choose deafness ...I watched as they both played along side us ,went to the same social functions , graduated from colleges and now raise families ......It is not that a visually impaired person could not do well in life but i would think they may encounter a bit more of a disadvantage ......Who knows though , maybe I am wrong .

pita-woman said...

Yeah, If I had to choose, I'd take deafness over blindness. At least a deaf person can still drive & not rely on others for transportation, and also, I don't think I'd do very well with Braille(sp?). I need to be able to read!
If having Olivia has taught me anything, lacking the ability to hear hasn't held her back in the slightest. If not for her vision problems as well, I'd have no qualms about letting her run outside like a "normal" dog.

pita-woman said...

ps,
Your husband mentioned wanting his vision so he could still play golf... I remember seeing a movie several years ago (true story) about a blind man, played by Marc Singer, I think it was called, "If You Could See What I Hear". He played golf, and was pretty good from what I remember.

Junosmom said...

Paul, I could, LOL. I have it playing in my brain.

I am glad, Cloudia, that we do not.

Summer, I think it would be harder to learn to compensate for blindness, but then I guess we all do what we must.

PITA, I'm with you because of the independence issue. Perhaps I'm too independent? I have heard of people who play one armed golf, but not blind. I suppose he has a "spotter" or he'd never find his ball.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts