Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Olympics

The men's relay race in swimming had so much to enjoy - from the swaggering French who were beaten, the come from behind finish, and the reaction of the teammates on learning they had won. We laughed and laughed watching Michael Phelps and teammates yell and pump their fists. Speaking of Phelps, when he won the 400 m, they showed his mother watching the race. She yelled and carried on, "Go Michael, go Michael..." Dear Daughter said, "That's embarrassing!" But I had to smile, for during the interview, his eyes scanned the audience and he said he was looking for his mom and couldn't find her.

Other notes: Since when is beach volleyball an Olympic sport?? Dh sure is enjoying this year's Olympics. I think it is more of a spectator sport. Even better - it seems to be raining during the game. Huh.

And if it isn't enough that I have to watch the beach babes, I have to hear about a forty-something swimmer who has a washboard stomach, had a baby in between swim meets, and beats all the 20-somethings. I'm going to go find my ice cream carton of Death By Chocolate.

4 comments:

whitetr6 said...

meanwhile, over in women's gymnastics, the big controversy is that the Chinese entrants all look like they're 12 or under, while the rules state they must be 16 or older. There's always something...

The highlights for me so far were in the opening ceremony. Spectacular.

Travis Erwin said...

I enjoyed the relay as well but I'm with your hubby. Beach volleyball is a fine event top watch.

Junosmom said...

whitetr6 - While gymnastics was my sport for awhile as a girl and I loved it, I decided not to put my girls in it when they were young despite the fact that Lauren had the perfect body for it. There was a good deal of information coming out about that time as to how it delays development and is bad for their growing bodies. I wonder if those girls are 12 or if they just look it?

Travis - was that a typo, Freudian slip or intentional?

pita-woman said...

I don't know when beach volleyball was introduced to the Olympics, but I do know this isn't the 1st year for it. I made the comment to my own dh a couple of nights ago that I saw no need for these women to dress in what amounts to a string bikini. If the indoor volleyball players can wear shorts and jerseys, why can't the outdoor players? I don't see the mens team wearing a thong when they play!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts