Saturday, September 25, 2010

Why We Homeschooled High School

Lauren is off at college now.  During a phone conversation, I worried aloud as to whether I had covered enough subjects to prepare her.  How will she do? This is my "final exam".  She assured me, "Mom, you taught me how to learn."

In addition to raising a child who is now, in college, already fully engaged and volunteering at her Church there (faith), and who calls us several times a week to share what she is doing (family), she is doing well academically.  As one commenter on the website The Race to Nowhere stated, we do not have to "produce happy, motivated, and creative human being(s)".  They are born that way.  We adults need only be sure to not drum it out of them.  



This trailer brings up some very good points.  This trailer is all I know about the film, but I would like to see it.  I truly believe that our educational system won't succeed until we have focused in our society on what is truly important.


Notes:
Evidently, the drought has also affected the corn production, candy corn that is.  It is candy corn season and I've already been to two stores looking for it.  They are sold out and apparently there is a shortage.  I've eaten the one bag I found early in the season and it can't be replaced.  I didn't know that there was a shortage and did not properly ration myself.  I have found the kind that is orange, brown and white, but everyone knows that's not real candy corn.   My sister reports a similar shortage in Cincinnati.


It rained today.  Not enough to make a difference, but enough to remind oneself that it can and to give one hope.


I had a nice birthday with many good wishes on Facebook, flowers, chocolate, wine and Chinese takeout, a back rub.  Family and phone calls.  What more could a person want?


Reading:  The White Queen

2 comments:

Fatcat said...

I can't find candy corn either. I like it with peanuts. Yum.

Great post.

Cloudia said...

Happy Belated Birthday!!!!




"Mom, you taught me how to learn."
the BEST gift you got, I'll bet :)



Candy corn! You're right, I haven't seen any...


Warm Aloha from Hawaii, dear friend

Comfort Spiral

><}}(°>

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts