Thursday, May 18, 2006

Idioms

I suppose I get my love of puns and word play from my dad. He recently sent me an email. When I asked for clarification, he responded that he was just pulling my leg, Joshing me (who was Josh, he asks), or jiggling my Jello. "Know any others?" he wrote.

At first, I couldn't remember the word I needed to Google this. In the recesses of my aging brain, I remembered something from French class - "maxim"? (Don't Google that, bunch of sites related to some magazine). "Axiom"? Finally, the light bulb clicked on. IDIOM. Not to be confused with Idiot. Idioms are intriguing because we've long lost how we got these expressions, what they mean, but everyone uses them.

So, I found a few. Feel free to add your own (within reason of course, kids do read this blog).

Don't:
  • Blow smoke up my ass
  • Pull the wool over my eyes
  • Yank my chain
  • Pee on my leg and tell me it's raining.

1 comment:

pita-woman said...

Pee on my leg? I've never heard that one!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts