Monday, January 25, 2010

Fickle

(Left: Louise, Anna's cat)

We learn a lot about life through art and music. For example, Anna recently entered the regional Scholastic Art and Writing Contest. She was awarded a Gold Key and two Silver. Interestingly, the Gold was awarded to an edgy self-portrait painted with a small roller. The more realistic paintings, such as her painting of the horses, "Clouds Over July", got Silver. We've heard back that the judges of the paintings this year were looking for "edgy".

We've experienced this before. Her painting, "Temptation", a portrait of William got only third place in a small county art show with only four paintings in it. Yet, in the Kentucky State Fair, it was Supreme Grand Champion, first in the whole Commonwealth.

We have learned:
  • Be true to yourself, paint (or live) the way you need to
  • Be happy with your efforts if you've been true to yourself
  • The opinions of others say more about them and what they seek than it does about you or your work
  • Be humble, even if you win - it was that person's opinion that day
  • If you didn't win today, you may win tomorrow
  • The more you enter contests, the more likely it is that you will win one day. In other words, you can't win if you don't try
Why the cat photo? Well, judges are like cats. You just never know what they are thinking.
And if I've not said before, I am very proud of my daughters. They are passionate about who they want to be and how they want to live. A parent can't ask for more.

Notes:
I bought salad tongs. Just saying, in case you are over for dinner and I serve salad. The desecrated tongs are now on top of the bathroom cabinet for our next "event".

My spirits were lifting this weekend. My husband made a delicious dinner, I cleaned up my desk, the weather was mild, in the 50s. I allowed myself to be thinking winter was on the way out. It is snowing.

2 comments:

Rosaria Williams said...

Your Anna is very talented. I came in from Comfort Spiral and found a respite here.

Junosmom said...

Hi Lakeviewer, Thank you! Yes, Cloudia is one of my favorite places to go on a cold day. Welcome.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts