Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Powering Down

Homeschooling two distinct age groups sometimes causes my mind to miss a track.  Lauren asked me what the difference was between "hibernate" and "sleep".  I began with how the body, say of a bear, would slow down its respiration and metabolic rate, a much deeper sleep.  William and I just read about this the other day.  I had to shake my head clear of these thoughts when Lauren clarified that she was talking about the computer, not animals.

I had never thought about it.  But indeed, if you go to where you shut down your computer from the Start menu, you have the choice of "sleep" or "hibernate".  Sleep shuts down power to all parts of the computer it can without losing what you were doing.  When you want to resume, assuming you remained plugged in or your battery did not run out, you can restart faster.  Hibernate, on the other hand, does save data, but the computer shuts off all power, requiring a complete reboot to start working again on your computer.  It saves more energy.  Huh, learn something every day.  Read more here.

Notes:
I get the weekends off on barn chores, and sometimes, because of that, eggs don't get collected.  I think I might have also, due to over-scheduling, not have done chores on Friday.  This led to quite a collection of eggs, many of them bantam which are now being warmed by a small black hen.  I don't want these chicks!  I need to see if anyone wants them.  A friend did want the hen to hatch some eggs for her, so maybe I can substitute her bigger eggs for some of these not so big ones.

William and I are reading the 1950s book The Enormous Egg by Oliver Butterworth.  I suppose you couldn't find a book better for a little boy familiar with chickens who loves - well, I can't spoil it for you and tell you what comes out of the egg.

Hair is coming off of the horses in curtains as I brush them each night.  In the mornings, the hair is gone, used to soften the nests of birds.  It is supposed to get into the 70s this afternoon and SUN!

2 comments:

Cloudia said...

Nest building and afternoon sun...yes! Spring is coming!


Do home schoolers take the Summer off?

Aloha from Hawaii my Friend!


Comfort Spiral

Junosmom said...

Cloudia - according to William we do.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts