Friday, May 25, 2007

Strawberry Picking

Each year, I make strawberry and peach freezer jam. I could very well buy the strawberries already picked for nearly the same price. We pick our own for the joy of being able to, and to bring home the lesson that when we eat food, someone was out in the hot sun picking it for us.

After about an hour, the novelty wears thin and everyone has tasted and picked all the strawberries they ever hope to see again. They've filled a flat. Perhaps I should empty that flat and say "fill it", for only then would they understand the drudgery of it. But, being soft and wanting them to remember the day with good memories, I instead bought them homemade ice cream in the roadside stand.

Note the cowboy boots. Nothing says style like cowboy boots while wearing shorts.

1 comment:

pita-woman said...

I'm jealous!
I haven't picked berries in YEARS! This (along w/beans & 'taters) was something we did every year when I was kid. I loved it!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts