Friday, January 06, 2006

How the Brain Works

Isn't it marvelous sometimes the way the brain works? I had the most interesting experience the other day. In the book You: The Owner's Manual, there is a test to see how smart you are. Of course, it is just for fun. One of the questions had me stumped completely. Here is the question:

One four-letter word will fit on all three lines below to make new words with the word preceding and the word following (example IN[DOOR]STOP). The same word must abe used for all three lines. What's the word?

BACK___SOME
FREE___MADE
FORE___BAG

I thought and thought, but couldn't get it. I thought too hard. Finally, I gave up and later, went to bed. In the morning, I got up, and while drinking my coffee, pulled out that book. I looked at that question and "HAND" instantly popped into my head. I hadn't even tried to "think". Obviously, my brain had worked on this while I slept. Isn't that cool?

Excited by my discovery of the answer, I gave the girls a clue as to the answer. "Daddy is ______SOME", I hinted. "Irksome?" asked Anna. "Tiresome?" asked Lauren. Obviously, they need more sleep.

1 comment:

pita-woman said...

Okay, maybe because I went to bed at 7pm last night & got plenty of sleep, I got the "HAND" part before I read the rest of your blog and confirmed it. ;)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts