Saturday, January 28, 2006

The King's English

I was reading My Reality Show and her article about Pet Peeves. I was amused, because the level of grammar pet peeves transcends anything one might be able to say about those that live in my neck of the woods. Here in Kentucky, language is very colorful and imaginative. For example, on having a bad day, one might say that things are "going to hell in a handbasket". Now, if anyone can explain to me why anything or anyone would be in a handbasket on the way to hell, I'd like to know.

Having arrived from Ohio in the mid 1980's, I learned many new phrases that were foreign to me. I learned "makes me no never mind" can be used to say "I don't care" and "fair to midlin'" was a good response to an inquiry about one's health.

It took me longer to adjust to the grammar of the region. For example, pronouns took awhile to learn. Y'all can refer to one or more people, as in "Y'all oughta get your act together". Changing to possessive form, "Is that car yur'alls?"

Kentuckians also believe in conservation of sounds. For example, we need only one sound for several words. One simple syllable, such as "tar", can mean tar on the road, the tar (tire) on your car, fatigued (tired or "tarred"), and of course, water tar (tower). You can also save a few sounds by using the word "par" as in "my car has lots of par (power). Of course, flour and flower can both be condensed into "flar". Get the pi'cher?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey! You linked to me! Cool! I know this was almost exactly a year ago, but it showed up in my hit counter that someone visited my site from your linky. THanks!

BTW: your Kentucky-isms are waaay funnier than my grammar pet peeves. I LOL'ed at them.

Many blessings!
Christi

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts