Monday, July 31, 2006

A Little Bit Slow

I can tell y'all 've been missing my writing from all the comments (NOT) I've been getting this past week. Oh, well, the ego is a grand thing until it's not being fed. Where have you been, you ask? (Okay, you didn't ask, but it is a sign of my mental health these days that I can have a total two-sided conversation with myself.)

It is but a week before our annual trek to the beach for a family reunion. Which member of dh's family originally came up with the idea of going to the beach for a family reunion is unclear. We think it might have been Aunt Kathryn. Imagine though: the beach is one place where you let it all hang out. No makeup. Almost no clothes. If you're lucky, you know someone with a good bottle of wine, so no normal inhibitions in conversational topics.

So I see these people, my inlaws, only once or twice a year and they are going to be able to see every new wrinkle in my face, and every new dimple in my thighs which are beginning to look like slightly dehydrated oranges. I suppose that's why they call them family.

Like other moms, I began making my list of things to bring and things to do before leaving. Unlike other moms, I started my list just this week. Procrastination is my middle name. On my list was balancing my checkbook, which despite having the latest Money program, was two months behind. My list was (is) as long as my arm. Thinking I might get it all done if I work many hours late into the night, I received a phone call from my daughter's piano teacher.

I design his website with his help. His new school year is to start the week we are gone, and could I make a few changes to the site? The changes turned into a major re-design, and though it isn't finished, it is looking good. But, as I labored over it, zoned out, obsessed with getting it done. I am now permanently in the shape of a desk chair.

In addition, the predictions I made about my back have come true. Carrying Wm. has caused some serious damage. Today, I was helping him into his car seat when I felt a jolt of electricity down my spine. I couldn't move. My daughters laughed with me, but it was the crazy kind of laugh, like seriously, this hurts.

To prove my tendency towards procrastination, I've decided to finally answer TC's tag from oh, um, 2005. I've not forgotten, TC, I'm just a little slow these days.

7 Things To Do Before I Die (not in order of importance)
1. Balance my checkbook
2. Clean out my closet and desk so people don’t say, “God, how could she live like this?” and so dh can actually find things he needs to find.
3. Travel with my dh, including to St. John's
4. Become an endurance horseback rider.
5. Volunteer to help underprivileged people
6. Get a book published.
7. Solve the Global Warming thing

7 Things I Cannot Do
1. Solve the Global Warming thing
2. Get my kids to pick up their rooms
3. Get Wm to talk quietly
4. Win a “best dressed” award
5. Shop until I drop
6. Follow directions.
7. Get organized.

7 Things That Attract Me To My Husband
1. He's sexy
2. I love talking with him about all sorts of subjects
3. At a dinner we went to, he actually put his left hand in his lap and had table manners.
4. We laugh together.
5. Sense of humor.
6. He always knows the right thing to say to me.
7. His laugh.

7 Things I Say Most Often
1. I love you, too, baby.
2. Wait until I get off the phone.
3. Did anyone feed the dogs?
4. Whose book is this on the kitchen table?
5. Go to bed.
6. Get off the computer.
7. Will you please read something other than Harry Potter?

7 Books or Series I Love
1. Diana Gabaldon – Outlander series
2. Harry Potter books
3. Janice Holt Giles books
4. Dumbing Us Down by J. T. Gatto
5. The Little Engine That Could
6. The Red Tent
7. Big Stone Gap - Adrianna Trigiani

7 Movies I Watch Over and Over Again (or would watch over and over if I had the time)
Firstly, I would say that mostly, I don’t like watching movies over and over. But if I had to:
1. Dangerous Liasons
2. Amadeus
3. The Ugly Daschund
4. National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation
5. Much Ado About Nothing
6. “House” re-runs
7. Phantom of the Opera

7 People I Want to Join In, Too
1. Dad
2. PitaWoman
3. A Hint of Lime
4. Lauren
5. Chris
6. Polly
7. Gina

Those of you without husbands (or those of you wishing you were) are free to delete that question. And, like me, you are allowed to procrastinate for up to one year.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts